Goal and methodology of the MBM-I group
Context The following statement, coming from various Buddhist traditions, seems worthy of scientific operationalization and investigation.
Claim There is suffering, which has a cause, that can be diminished and even removed
by methodical step-wise psycho-physical training and lifestyle towards sudden insight.
Goal The following is the goal of the MBM-I group.
To contribute to scientific investigations of the claim.
Needed For this one needs to describe
* The forms of suffering that fall under the scope of the training
* The various forms of training and their putative improvements
* The side-effects of the method in sub-populations
* Scientific understanding of mind/body mechanisms and pathology
* Understanding how the mind/brain/body can be modulated
* Strengthening evidence for clinical and psychosocial applications
Investigation of claims inspired by Buddhist theory and practice, making use of at least the following disciplines: biology, neuro-science, psychology, psychiatry, medicine, computer science, mathematics, philosophy.
Topics of interest
* Describing most important types of meditative practice
* Operationalizing concepts from these practises
* Putative effects of meditative practice (behaviour, body, cognition, emotion)
* Designing and performing experimental studies
* Modelling mind-processes, including self-reference & consciousness
* Contextualizing concepts, addressing methodological problems
* Studying relevant literature